We arrived into the train station in Boiano late one evening to meet up with Peter Farina, owner of italyMONDO!. He picked us up and drove us through the mountains to our wonderful apartment in Sepino, located at the foothills of the Matese Mountains in the southern Italian region of Molise. Peter, and his company italyMONDO!, have been working on our behalf since the summer of 2012 in order to help us request our Italian Citizenship. The remaining process will be completed here in Italy.
When you acquire Italian Citizenship “Jure Sanguinis” (By Right of Blood), you are requesting what is already yours from birth. Believe it or not, you’re not applying for Italian Citizenship. Notice the difference. Since our ancestors emigrated from Italy and did not renounce their Italian citizenship until after their children (our grandparents) were born, we have to prove our blood lines and request recognition of a right we already hold. At the end of this process, we will receive an Italian Birth Certificate (stating we were born “abroad”) which will be registered in the town where we are completing this process. Our Citizenship shows that we are Italian from birth, not starting at some other date. This is why there is no naturalization process, no oath of allegiance, no background checks, financial checks etc. We’ve always been Italian citizens – and thanks to Peter Farina & the italyMONDO! team we simply proved it. (In less than a year!)Interesting Fact
We were excited to find a company that would handle all the documentation that goes into getting your Italian Dual Citizenship from start to finish, because the research on your own could take years and is incredibly confusing. We have read countless horror stories on blogs and forums about losing heart, not having correct documents, and it taking f-o-r-e-v-e-r. Many people wait for 3 years or more just to get approved.
The process of acquiring your Italian Dual Citizenship can always be done Stateside via the Italian Consulates, but since 2007 can be done here in Italy. Doing all of the paperwork in the USA could be more convenient if you have a lot of time to wait (and then wait some more), but I’d recommend what we have done and complete the process here in Italy. One of the major advantages to doing it here in Italy is that — if done correctly — it greatly reduces the process time. But, the greater benefit is in the entire experience around acquiring your Italian Citizenship in Italy.italyMONDO! does a great job at making sure that everyone has a personal and individual experience. We have had the pleasure of living in and visiting some beautiful Italian villages and have met some wonderful people as part of our “Citizenship Vacation” here in the Molise region. (View some of our posts on the village of Sepino and the People of Sepino). There has been so many more benefits than just having a quick turn around time with our Citizenship, many of which that could never happen with doing it in the US. Each experience will be different for everybody, and italyMONDO! helps make the experience completely unique to you and your family. For us, we have hiked all over the outdoors, visited working farms and dairies, made cheese, hung out with the Mayor of Sepino and her family, hiked 8 miles to Robert DeNiro’s great-grandparents village of Ferrazzano, seen the over 2,000 year old Roman ruins of Saepinum (Altilia), visited the Matese mountains and the Lago di Matese, played in the snow and even walked in a procession for Good Friday – all while making some great friends!
Benefits of Acquiring your Dual Italian Citizenship:
I won’t go into full detail about how it all works, but there were some major benefits to receiving our Dual Italian Citizenship that led us to our decision. Here are some of the major benefits to obtaining your Italian Passport:
1. TRAVEL: You can travel freely in the entire European Union & Schengen Area. As an Italian Citizen you can stay as long as you want, with no need for visas or three month travel stipulations for those imposed on non EU residents.
2. WORK: You can legally work in Italy and any of the EU countries. This cuts down on the immense amount of red tape involved for entrepreneurs and also makes you attractive to potential employers because you can transfer between company branches in both Europe and the United States without restriction.
3. EDUCATION: College at certain Italian universities is free for citizens and tuition is lowered at many universities across the European Union.
4. HEALTHCARE: If you are a resident in Europe, with Italian Citizenship you’ll have access to almost free healthcare throughout the entire European Union.
5. PROPERTY: Having your Dual Italian Citizenship greatly reduces the red tape involved in purchasing property abroad!
6. PASS IT ON TO OUR CHILDREN: We may not take advantage of all the many benefits that having an Italian passport may hold (this by far is not an exhaustive list of benefits), but our children may! Your Italian Citizenship is passed on to your children, and with the world ever becoming more global our children will have an opportunity to live and work with much more possibilities.Interesting Fact
We’re happy to note that we should not only have our Citizenships completed in a month or so, but we will actually have our European ID cards in hand sometime in May! I couldn’t be more pleased with Peter and italyMONDO!, and if you are looking to acquire your Italian Dual Citizenship, make sure you go with Peter and tell him the DiLoreti’s sent you. 😉
Jill’s birth certificate and Italian documents will all have her maiden name. In Italy, the woman legally can’t take the man’s last name. Our ancestors changed their names when they came to the US in order to assimilate into American Society.Interesting Fact
I should also note that of all the companies we contacted, italyMONDO! was the only one to offer a full money-back guarantee on our Italian Citizenship. In fact, the “Skip the Consulate” service fee (their program for applying in Italy) isn’t even paid until we actually become Italian Citizens! italyMONDO!’s customer service has been great, and the other clients of Peter’s that we met while in Italy all had said the same thing.
If you have any questions about the process or how it worked for us, please feel free to shoot us an email.
Some Helpful Links:
NIAF (National Italian American Foundation) – Link For Dual Italian Citizenship
italyMONDO! – We highly recommend the Expedited Worry Free Process that we commissioned, along with his “Skip the Consulate” program in Italy!